Monday 14 January 2013

Sayur Lodeh

Last weekend I had some friends over for dinner and I decided to have a malay theme night. Although I now live in Melbourne, most of what I cook are influenced from where I came from. I was born and bred in Singapore and we are famous for our multi cultural choices in food. And this dish is one of them.

I'm not one for complicated and requires lots of effort in a recipe but it's 2013 and I wanted to stretch my culinary prowess a step further hence getting my hands into tedious recipes.

Except for making the spice paste this is a rather straightforward recipe.

Spice Paste:

2 tablespoon chili paste
2 teaspoon shrimp paste (belacan)
2 mediums onions
4 garlic cloves
2 stalks lemongrass
17 small dried shrimp, soaked in hot water to soften
1 inch fresh ginger
1 teaspoon corriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 tablepsoon oil

Vegetables:
1/2 head cabbage
2 carrots
1/2 turnip
250gm firm tofu
150gm green beans
1 and half cup coconut milk
2 cups water

Method:

  1. Place all the spice ingredients in a blender except for the oil and blend.
  2. Combine coconut milk and water to form a thin liquid. Cut all the vegetables.
  3. Heat oil and fry blended spice paste till fragrant careful not to burn it.
  4. Add coconut and water mixture and bring to a gentle boil.
  5. Add all the vegetables and cook. Season with salt to taste.
  6. Serve with lontong (rice cakes) or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment