Friday 8 February 2013

Station Hotel - Footscray

It's friday night and after a long week at work, me and hubby usually have a family dinner out to wind down. As I cannot be bothered to come home and slave over the kitchen another day by this time my energy level have depleted completely. 

Hubby did not have anything in mind to eat so I let my fingers do the walking and google for places to eat around my area. And in a few seconds a whole list of suggestions came thru, and quickly my eye caught the caption Melbourne's Top 5 Best Restaurant for Fine Steak and that sealed my decision.

Parts of the cuts of a cow

When we arrive and walk through the door, the dining area was full and the whole scene was a little chaotic, I was a little despondent as I thought we would be turn away but as we waited to be seated no service staff approach us. So hubby spotted a table closer to the bar area and said we should take that one. I insisted we wait for a wait staff, after five minutes and staff running amok hubby approach a staff and asked for a table for 3 but was politely told we could sit anywhere we wanted. 

Doh! I'm sure one of the staff who was running helter skelter could have stopped for a few precious seconds and told us that. Anyway we proceeded to take our seats and no menu was handed to us, out of the corner of my eye I spotted the menu and went to get it myself. After looking and knowing what we wanted we wondered what do we do next, will someone take our orders at the table or should we order from the bar. It was really hard to get the attention of a wait staff who was busy serving, cleaning up and then serving and cleaning up, so I got up and took the initiative to ask someone behind the bar. 


The Menu

Wow lo and behold they were busy too, by this stage I was ready to throw in the towel and walk out but then a ray of hope and I was asked if I was ready to order by someone behind the counter who was really friendly and courteous. After the meals, drinks and dessert was ordered it was a matter of waiting for our food to arrive, by this time all three of us was famished. We were promptly serve with complimentary crusty bread and butter, which was nothing to rave about all I could say that it was provided to fill us up a little.

As soon as the food arrived we could not wait to sink our teeth into, so it was with much difficulty that I had to keep the cutlery off so that I could take the photos.

Fish & Hand Cut Chips

DD and I shared the fish. I was really impressed after the first mouthful, the chips was chunky, crispy and really fluffy on the inside. The salad vinaigrette was really light and refreshing, and the salad leaves crisp and fresh. Fish meat was really fresh and the batter was light, really crispy not greasy at all. 

Grain Fed Angus Steak

No guesses on who had the steak, there was a choice between pepper or Bearnaise sauce and hubby went with pepper which I got served on the side just in case hubby did not like it as he prefers mushroom sauce. Hubby had nothing but praise for his meal, in between mouthfuls telling me how tender and how good the sauce was. I'm not much of a steak person but by the way hubby was enjoying it I had to have a bite of it, I was not disappointed the meat practically melted in my mouth I know it's not possible for meat to melt but this one did, it was so tender.

Sticky Date & Walnut Pudding

We always have room for dessert especially if sticky date is on the menu, our family's all time favourite. Although it was a bit of a wait but we were kept up to date on the progress of it by the wait staff, by this time the crowd had thin out and they had a bit of free time. The sticky date was served with butterscotch sauce and ice cream. It was moist and not too sweet on the palate.


Warm Chocolate Cake

The chocolate cake was served hot unlike the description on the menu which was warm and when I say hot it was straight from the oven. I burnt my tongue with the first mouthful, thank goodness for the ice cream. The only complaint I have was that the ice cream was not enough on both desserts could have done with a bit more.

Overall the meal gets our Thumbs Up! Definitely will be coming back here again, wish I had found this treasure earlier but as they say better late than never and the next time I'll be sure to make advance reservations. For all you who's going there for the first time just walk straight in, find a table, get a menu and order from the bar. 


Location:
59 Napier St
Footscray

No comments:

Post a Comment