Monday 29 April 2013

Encore Restaurant - Hotel Grand Chancellor

So what brought us to Encore, well like any over zealous voucher buyer I had purchased another one of those deal vouchers for a 3 course meal. I make reservations for dinner on a Sunday night and Encore was a hotel restaurant located right smack in the city. We got there half an hour late due to the difficulty in finding carpark and I was panicking that they had given my table away but when I got there the restaurant was not full at all with only a few tables occupied. The wait staff seem to be use to people being late and was not really bothered by our tardiness. She showed us to our table and handed us our menus.


For entrees I had the pork tasting platter which was presented beautifully, it comprise of dumplings, pork belly and spring roll with a chilli dipping sauce. The description on the menu was really good and knew I had to try it. But the taste test did not fare very well. The dumplings were a little bland, pork belly was too fatty and the spring roll ordinary. Hubby had the soft shell crab tacos and boy they were awesome I was a little jealous and upset I did not go for that entree instead. The crab was generous in size and the salad went very well with it. 

Top: Soft shell crab tacos
Bottom: Pork tasting plate

For mains I had the herb crumbed chicken which again was ordinary nothing to rave about. And hubby had his usual steak with a mushroom jus and chips. Again hubby enjoyed his steak saying it was melt in the mouth and cooked just how he liked it. I was not doing well with meal choices and hope that dessert would save the night. 

Top: Herb crumbed chicken
Bottom: 300gm Scotch fillet

Both of us were really full by this stage and I did not even finish my main I had half of it still left on my plate. I had the banana tart, again another disappointment, the portion was huge but that was about it. The pastry was too thick and still tasted a little raw not baked long enough. The bananas were a little burnt and could have been better it was a little more ripe. The only thing that was good on that plate was the rum and raisin ice cream. Hubby had the chocolate tart again his choice came out the winner, the tart was light and the chocolate filling not too sweet but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it. 

Banana tart with rum & raisin ice cream

Overall one of those restaurants that I would not be in a hurry to make a return anytime soon. But in all fairness I must add the service was excellent and the ambience was fantastic. 


Location:
131 Lonsdale St 
Melbourne 
VIC 3000 

No comments:

Post a Comment