Sunday 10 August 2014

Pandan Cheese Roll

I use to love this cake when I was growing up in Singapore I would have it least once a week from the local bakery. But ever since moving to Australia most of the local delicacies I can't get I end up googling for recipes and making them on my own. Recently I had cravings for this particular cake and went about to search for a recipe I could try. I found one on Zakia's blog and decided to give it a try. Note that this recipe uses a lot of eggs mainly the yolks so you would have a lot of whites left over. I usually save them to use for breakfast as a egg white omelette or for other baking recipes.




Ingredients:
10 egg yolks
1 egg white
100 gr Castor sugar
75 gr all purpose flour
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
100 gr butter (cream until fluffy)
300 gr cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 tsp pandan paste

Cream Cheese Frosting
150 gr butter
250 gr cream cheese
50 gr icing sugar

Instruction :

  1. Preheat oven to 200 Celsius degrees .Butter 26x26x2 square baking pan, line pan with parchment paper 
  2. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg white, egg yolks, & sugar on high speed until thick and pale.
  3. Put flour mixture with vanilla, then fold together with wooden spoon or rubber spoon until blend. Then add creamy butter & pandan paste, fold until well blend.
  4. Transfer the batter to prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in to middle comes out clean and the cake surface become dry enough.
  5. Turn out cake, then put on the baking paper. Turn out the used parchment paper, then roll it when it still hot. Set a side.
  6. Cream butter & cream cheese until creamy and fluffy with electric mixer. Add icing sugar then mix again until the batter look pale.
  7. Open the cake roll. Spread the cream cheese frosting at the surface and smooth with offset spatula. Sprinkle with grated cheese then roll again. 
  8. Rub the surface with the remaining cream cheese and  sprinkle it with grated cheese.


This was a relatively easy recipe except that you had to have patience for the mixture to reach a thick and pale consistency do not rush the process. I gave it a good 10 mins for the mixture to reach that consistency and the end result was a light fluffy sponge. The next time I do make this again though I will cut the cream cheese frosting by half as I thought it was a bit too much sugar hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment