Thursday 30 January 2014

Tasty Gate - Werribee


There are heaps of Singaporean/Malaysian cafes that are mostly concentrated in the city or the east there's not many in the west. So when a new joint opens up in my hood I make it a point to explore it as soon as humanly possible. First impressions was promising when I walked in, the place was huge nothing fancy but clean and orderly. We were greeted by the wait staff who was friendly and inviting. She showed us to our table and pass us the menu. Unfortunately for the pros of this place this is where it ends, very tragic!

Begedil


For entrees we had the Begedil (meat patties made with mash potatoes and fried till brown and crispy). I have eaten more than my share of begedils and have made plenty of it myself so I know what it should taste like. But what I put in my mouth was thick and very floury, I believe they overdid with the flour but the wait staff ensure me there was no flour use in the mixture only to coat the pattie which I find hard to believe. The other entree we had was curry puffs, the filling of chicken and potato had the right spice level. Although the pastry which is an important part of the curry puff was a big letdown. It was rather doughy tasted more like bread, not flaky and buttery like it should be. 

Roti Jala


From then on it just went downhill, I had the roti jala (crepe like pancake) with chicken curry while T (my daughter) had roti canai with chicken curry as well. The chicken curry was served to us luke warm, and the curry was so runny and lack the strong flavours of spice mix. By the time we finish our meals, Hubby still has not got his mains. They need to work on their food delivery service where all mains are served at the same time

Roti 


Anyway by this time hubby was not looking forward to his mains since every dish we've had so far just lack the malaysian flavor. Hubby's main finally arrived note that it was a 20 min wait since me and T finish our meals. He had the lamb mamak soup, again lack the spice paste flavour and was runny when the broth it suppose to be packed full of flavors of spice and black pepper. The other dish he had was the beef lemak (coconut broth with beef and vegetables). Finally they got the flavour of this dish right, it had the right amount of spice and coconut in it.

Beef Lemak

Lamb Mamak Soup

The dessert for the day was bubor cha cha (sweet potato, yam and tapioca boil in coconut milk), look this is a very simple dish hard to get wrong and they did. There was not enough gula melaka (palm sugar) and I definitely did not taste the pandan (screwpine leaves) which is suppose to be a predominant flavor in this dessert. Again another epic fail for me.

Bubor Cha Cha


The staff was very eager for feedback from customers and I gave them my humble opinions but they seem to be quite defensive about what was being offered instead of taking them onboard for improvements. Have I been harsh with my review? I beg to differ since there are a lot of better malaysian cafes and restaurants out there which I have tried, it's a competitive industry if you cannot stay authentic and true to the origins of the dishes then you'll lose customers like me.



Location:
4c Watton St
Werribee


TastyGate on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment