Friday 8 March 2013

Squid Stuffed with Chicken

As an avid cook and baker I'm constantly looking for inspirations to try new recipes. I was watching one of the episodes on My Kitchen Rules and one of the pair of contestants had prepared a squid dish and it look really good. The weekend I wanted to try the dish out the recipe was not on the official site yet therefore I use my creativity and came up with my own. 

Note that my recipe varied quite a bit from the original as first of all I use chicken mince and secondly I omitted the prawns as I'm allergic to it. And instead of serving it with sweet chilli sauce I made a tartar sauce as I thought that would have gone better with the squid.

Crumbed stuff squid

Ingredients:
4 Squid clean 
flour for dusting
1 egg lightly beaten
Panko breadcrumbs enough to coat
Vegetable oil for deep frying 

Stuffing:
300gm chicken mince 
2 cloves garlic
50gm bacon fried till crispy
1tbsp oregano*
1tbsp thyme*
1tbsp basil*
*use fresh chopped herbs 
2tbsp pinenuts dry toast in a pan
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Place all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl and combine together. Stuff squid with the filling, do not over stuff as the ingredients will spill out when steaming as noted in my picture. Secure the ends with a toothpick.
  2. Steam squid in a steamer for 5 mins, leave aside to cool.
  3. Dust squid with flour, dip in egg and coat well in breadcrumbs.
  4. In a wok heat oil and fry squid till golden brown.


Steam Squid

Homemade Tartar Sauce
200gm mayonnaise
1tsp capers
2 small gerkhins
Half red onion grated
Juice from half lemon
Salt and pepper to taste 
  • Mix all the above ingredients together and serve.
Now that the recipe has been published in the official site, I'll give that a try but I must say my version was'nt too bad either. Do give it a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment