Wednesday 20 November 2013

Mr Huang Jin - Melbourne CBD

I've been wanting to try this place for quite a while but could not be bothered to drive into the city on my own on a friday night with congested traffic. So the opportunity came up one Friday when my husband wanted to have Japanese and went we got there the restaurant was close down. So without further hesitation I suggested we try Huang Jin which was just a few streets away. 




It was not too crowded when we got there and there was plenty of empty tables available. The wait staff showed us to the table and handed us our menu, which I did not really need as I already knew what I wanted since I had already checked out the menu beforehand. 

Taiwanese Fried Chicken 

Spring onion cakes with egg on top

The fried chicken was awesome in my daughter's words, she enjoyed every bite of it and so did me and hubby. It was crispy on the outside and really moist and juicy tender meat. It came serve with a chilli mayo which we had to ask for more that was how good it was. As for the spring onion pancake I did not really enjoy that as it had egg on the top and I do not want to be biase in my opinion but my daughter love it. 

Soft shell crab on sticky rice

Then came the soft shell crab, note that this was not on the menu as it was a chef's special which the wait staff forgot to mention but I knew it existed because I read some blog reviews previously. The crab was a bit too oily for my liking I could feel the oil travel down my throat as I ate it and it was a small piece of crab which did not justify the price, the portion was really small.

Chilli Wantons

Salmon Wrap

Next we had the chilli wantons which was a generous portion and the sauce that came with it complimented the dish well, it was not too spicy. The salmon wrap is another chef's special which you will not find on the menu, the salmon was crumbed and wrapped with vegetables and mayo. This was divine and all I can say is it's a must try. 

Xiao Long Bao

We had ordered the xiao long bao's (shanghai dumplings) as well and after all the dishes had arrived we still have not got it yet. So I had to remind them we were waiting for it and they had actually forgot to add that in which they were apologetic for. I must say that I was disappointed though when I bite into it, for one they were definitely a lot smaller in size than the wantons and they did not have much of the broth in the fillings. So there was really no burst at the bite sort of feel. All I can say is that I've tasted better elsewhere.

Red bean pancake with sesame ice cream

To finish off the meal we had the red bean pancake and what can I say it was the best way to complete the meal. The red bean filling was generous and although the pancake was fried in batter it was not oily like the soft shell crab. The sesame ice cream was really good you get the taste of sesame in every mouthful, it was so good I ask the wait staff who their supplier was as I wanted a whole tub. She mention that it was made in house.

Overall this place has got a few hits and misses, there were some dishes that did not live up to my expectations where some shone thru like the dessert which I'm definitely going back for. But the price certainly did not justify the tapas size portions. 


Location:
The Rialto
525 Collins St
Melbourne 3000


Mr Huang Jin on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment